Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about what leadership truly is.
I’ve spent many years study it, practicing it, and trying to break down what leadership means to me. It’s a lifelong pursuit, but I think it can be distilled into six basic steps. Here they are:
How to be a leader:
- Clearly identify the problem or goal (we want X to happen)
- Advanced: Identify the problem before it occurs so you can head it off
- Identify the missing pieces
- Create a written plan with due dates
- Execute on the plan (stay on schedule!)
- Stay one chapter ahead
- Reading and learning new things is the key to successful leadership
- Review and improve upon your plan and execution for future versions
Here’s a video that I made about this the other day (sorry there are some dead air and bad signal parts, I was driving in the countryside).